WebExtensions after FF 56

General discussion about Custom Buttons, including feature requests.

Re: WebExtensions after FF 56

Postby mcee » Wed May 24, 2017 1:55 am

Yes sir, I know; I was an active PM member until I got too disgusted. If you accept their wording, they are absolutely not relaunching PM under new branding but rather creating a second, new browser fork based on more current Firefox. The new one is planned to have the Australis UI, which I don't want. But who knows, it could end up being the best of what is available, especially if CTR continues working with it. And apparently Alex is not committed to keeping XUL in WF long-term, probably just as long as he can with flipping a build pref. But yea, we're OK in the short-term.
mcee

Postby morat » Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 pm

If a button uses a Mozilla interface, then it can't be converted to a bookmarklet.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... /Interface
morat

Postby octopod » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 am

Before switching browsers, you have to consider where and how you'll get support. Mozillazine still has the best browser support of any site. I belong to a dozen software support sites, maybe more.

The other factor is configuration ability. You'll still be able to personalize FF somewhat. You can't personalize Chrome or Opera at all. They don't even have some basic features that Mozilla browsers have. Chrome and Opera remind me of a shapeless coat that covers me, but doesn't fit anywhere.
octopod

Postby octopod » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:19 am

I've converted all my buttons into bookmarks, and put them in the first folder in my bookmark sidebar. All except 2 are web pages, not functions.
octopod

Postby BobbyW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 am

I don't only like using custombuttons, I absolutely need custombuttons to have an enjoyable browsing experience. As of late I've switched to WaterFox because my previous reliance on PaleMoon, which has pretty much hit a brickfreekinwall since version 27.0....I rely on Custom Buttons & a plethora of extensions, & have not been able to make Pale Moon stable......for no reason, all my buttons disappear & the browser freezes, eventually to shut down....over & over, & over, whit a few minutes of browsing in between....

The actual reason I've stayed with Pale Moon so long is .... #1 & #2 - No Australis UI & Custom Button compatibility .... oh, & most of all the button Icons were as large as I needed them to be.

Now using Pale Moon 27 is so unstable for me, I had to go to WaterFox, because it is the most compatible with CustomButtons of the lot. The biggest problem for me using WaterFox is that the Custombutton Icons have gotten so small....& are almost unusable without me using a hand held visual aid....a magnifying glass. No matter the size of the image I use in the button, they shrink down to smaller than 16x16..... Image :cry:

Well, I wont bore you all with my 'special needs', but to sum it up ....... without CustomButtons, I will probably become a 'non-browser' .... browsing will be near impossible both physically, & emotionally ..... without any realistic hopes of returning.

God bless CustomButtons.......long may it last!!!
BobbyW

Postby makondo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:03 am

The code below should make most buttons 24x24px or you can change it to whatever suits you. Some buttons will need additional code, you'll need to get their IDs to add. I think you use Stylish, right? Make a new style with this to see what happens:

Code: Select all
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

toolbarbutton,
.toolbarbutton-1.chromeclass-toolbar-additional,
toolbarbutton .toolbarbutton-icon,
.toolbarbutton-1.chromeclass-toolbar-additional .toolbarbutton-icon,
.toolbarbutton-1.toolbarbutton-combined .toolbarbutton-icon
{ min-width: 24px !important;
min-height: 24px !important; }

What's your OS? In win10 i had to change display scale to 175% (from 150% default) to be able to read stuff.
makondo

Postby BobbyW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 am

makondo wrote:The code below should make most buttons 24x24px or you can change it to whatever suits you. Some buttons will need additional code, you'll need to get their IDs to add. I think you use Stylish, right? Make a new style with this to see what happens:

Code: Select all
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

toolbarbutton,
.toolbarbutton-1.chromeclass-toolbar-additional,
toolbarbutton .toolbarbutton-icon,
.toolbarbutton-1.chromeclass-toolbar-additional .toolbarbutton-icon,
.toolbarbutton-1.toolbarbutton-combined .toolbarbutton-icon
{ min-width: 24px !important;
min-height: 24px !important; }

What's your OS? In win10 i had to change display scale to 175% (from 150% default) to be able to read stuff.

I didn't use Stylish before........................but I do now!!!!! Image

WOW ....... All my Christmases have come at once!! Image

Thanks a million MAK.....My Eyes feel better already!!! Image

There are a few Custom Buttons that stayed small, but only a handful.....I have the button IDs.....what code do I need, & where do I put it....how???......Somewhere in that same script??

This is a new toy for me!! You've made my day big time!!!! Thanks Heaps!!!! Image ImageImageImage Image
BobbyW

Postby makondo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Try adding this to the code (don't forget the comma before it!) :

toolbarbutton[id^="custombuttons-button"] > .toolbarbutton-icon

If this doesn't help, try this (you'll have to do this for every button that the original code didn't work for):

toolbarbutton[label="button name goes here"] .toolbarbutton-icon

You might be able to use CButton ID, it will look like this:

#custombuttons-button7 .toolbarbutton-icon

This ^ method is not perfect 'cause when/if you uninstall/reinstall a button, you'll need to change the code since the button will have a different ID most likely.

BTW, i don't know what Stylish version you have but i'm using srazzano' version and have no problems.

Speaking of which, srazzano! you have v.55 but i'm still on 52 (since i'm using WF 54). Didn't you say you'll keep at least one previous to last version of your exts.? It'd be very helpful: in case new version has probs, we can switch back till resolved.
makondo

Postby srazzano » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes, I have all the Stylish 52 versions backed-up on my site, but just not listed for downloads. Was getting to confusing and taking too much space with Firefox, Pale Moon, Waterfox 54 and Waterfox 55. So I just concentrate mostly on Waterfox 55, which I use.
srazzano

Postby makondo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 am

I see, thanks. Are you all right there, are you in LV or Mexico now? Hurricanes, earthquakes ...
makondo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion