Upgraded FF from v50 to v54.0.1 CB is Totally FUBAR

Post information about bugs here

Upgraded FF from v50 to v54.0.1 CB is Totally FUBAR

Postby BobbyW » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 am

I Don't use FF hardly at all, but every once in a while I take my last working version (with CB of course) & update it.

Today I did just that to find that Custom Buttons does not work at all with Fire Fox version 54.0.1

I went to the FF add-on page, & made sure I had the latest version of Custom Buttons, which just for good measure, I reinstalled v0.0.5.8.9

To no avail, Custom Buttons v0.0.5.8.9 does not work on the very latest version of FireFox v54.0.1

Now, I further investigated to find that Custom Buttons has not been updated since March of 2016?

Have we seen this Custom Buttons slowly abandoned as was it's cousin CB² a few years back. :(

Is it still being actively updated by the Administrator? :(

It seems to work fine on Pale Moon v26.5 but there's change in the wind that with v27+ that might not stay true for long.

I don't understand all the rush to change everything, everywhere, with every browser, trashing everything I....& many others.....seem to hold sacred....our Custom Buttons........ it seems to be under some sort of attack for years from every direction????

So, what can I do, what can be done to get things updated & working for at least FF & PM into the future? If FF is a lost cause, then concentrate all efforts into one browser....say Pale Moon, who at least stayed true to the concept when Mozilla went off on it's horrid Australis/Chrome bender.....

If they need financing to continue on, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone to chip in just as long as the end result is a 100% working Custom Buttons is guaranteed into the future for PM & hopefully FF too.

Thanks for listening.... Bobby Image
BobbyW

Re: Upgraded FF from v50 to v54.0.1 CB is Totally FUBAR

Postby srazzano » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:39 am

Though I dumped Firefox for Waterfox 54.0.1 (forked version of firefox version 54 without the signing reqirement), try this version I maintain for myself, custombuttons3-52.0.4, from my site: https://sonco.synthasite.com/custom-butttons-3.php
srazzano

Postby makondo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Sonny,
that's the version # i have, anything new in this one?.. since july?
makondo

Postby srazzano » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm

Nope.
srazzano

Postby BobbyW » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks for the Quick reply.

Nice Website. ;)

Unfortunately, Sonny this is the error I get when I try to install your .xpi from your personal website:

"Firefox has prevented this site from installing an unverified add-on"

:? This was even after it asked me to allow the site to ask me to install, by specifically pressing 'Allow', so I am a bit confused. :?

Any suggestions?

PS.... Also, I don't know if this is important, but I am using the "Portable" version of Fire Fox v54.0.1 (from Here) on
Windows 10 v1703 build:15063.502
BobbyW

Postby morat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:44 am

@BobbyW

Are you using the config file hack to bypass the signing check?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14750629
morat

Postby BobbyW » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:29 am

morat wrote:@BobbyW

Are you using the config file hack to bypass the signing check?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14750629

@Morat

Ok, to be honest I'm not very good at doing all this, but I tried my best.

I guess what I did didn't work because after making the 2 .js files as instructed (see below), & putting them into the directories it said I should to put them into, Sonny's .xpi still won't install, & I still get the same error message:

"Firefox has prevented this site from installing an unverified add-on"

config.js file

Code: Select all
//
try {
Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm", {})
.eval("SIGNED_TYPES.clear()");
}
catch(ex) {}

config-prefs.js file

Code: Select all
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "config.js");

:? I'm totally confused.....I've rechecked the locations of those files.

The First one says the install directory, & for me that was :

C:\+ PORTABLE APPS +\FIREFOX PORTABLE BROWSER v54\App\Firefox

The Second one said the defaults/pref directory, & to me that was:

C:\+ PORTABLE APPS +\FIREFOX PORTABLE BROWSER v54\App\Firefox\defaults\pref

Was I correct on the files.....& the locations?

Thanks for your help Morat.....I sincerely hope I was wrong somewhere, because if that should have done the trick, then something else is incorrect. :?
BobbyW

Postby srazzano » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 am

Is this pref still in Firefox's about:config xpinstall.signatures.required
If so, set it to false.
I just got tired of all of Mozilla Firefox BS and switched to Waterfox and be done with it. Waterfox is a complete fork of Firefox without the BS.
srazzano

Postby BobbyW » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:38 am

srazzano wrote:Is this pref still in Firefox's about:config xpinstall.signatures.required
If so, set it to false.
I just got tired of all of Mozilla Firefox BS and switched to Waterfox and be done with it. Waterfox is a complete fork of Firefox without the BS.

Really, so if I downloaded Waterfox PortableI shouldn't have all these problems??

No need for those hacks except the xpinstall.signatures.required = false?

I'll give that a run.....thanks Sonny....I'll let ya know how I go... Image

EDIT: I was able to easily install your CUSTOMBUTTONS3 Special Update! Image So Far....So Good....fingers crossed, I won't need to many button fixes. The only thing that will take a bit of time is fixing all the Stackers with the new number IDs, but it sure beats watching reruns on TV! Image

After I finish getting WaterFox going good, my next project will be figuring out what crazyness has gotten into my PaleMoon Browser....since they went to v27+ it's become so unstable....buttons disappear like initializing into the twinkie zone....& the browser locks & closes.....but thats a whole seperate issue.....

Thanks again for all the help & guidance......Sonny.......Image......Morat......Image..couldn't keep my head above water without you guys out there. Image

I sincerely hope that Custom Buttons is around for a long long time.....all the people I've met, that have helped me, that have become friends for life....without which all this wouldn't be possible or fun. Image

Thanks again! Cheers! Image
BobbyW

Postby srazzano » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:26 am

My main browser is Waterfox. The author of Waterfox is trying to keep it going even after Firefox completely goes to webext. We'll see later this year if he succeeds. I do have Palemoon set up with Custom Buttons with all my extensions and buttons working in the event Waterfox doesn't continue.
srazzano

Next

Return to Bug report