[FIXED] CB broken on all Firefox versions higher than 43

Post information about bugs here

[FIXED] CB broken on all Firefox versions higher than 43

Postby Odyseus » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:02 pm

EDIT: The problems described in this post where fixed on version 0.0.5.8.3 of Custom Buttons add-on.
Consider the attached files as obsolete.

Hello, everybody.

I would like to report that the recently updated version of Custom Buttons add-on published on AMO (addons.mozilla.org) named 0.0.5.8.1-signed.1-let-fixed is not really fixed. It's still broken on all Firefox versions higher than 43. The problem is that all instances of the const keyword inside the custombuttons.jar file have not been changed.

Also, the Browser Console is not working properly on Firefox versions higher than 43. When one clicks on a warning/error link thrown by a custom button, it doesn't open the CB editor with the highlighted line.

Both errors mentioned above are fixed in the attached files on this post. I just modified two things:
  • All instances of the const keyword are replaced by the var keyword. Including the files inside the custombuttons.jar file.
  • I added the line overlay chrome://devtools/content/webconsole/webconsole.xul chrome://custombuttons/content/consoleOverlay.xul in the JavaScript Console section of the chrome.manifest file.

Rename the .zip file extension to .xpi to install.
Attachments
custombuttons-0.0.5.9pre1-20140622.zip
(142.43 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
custom_buttons-0.0.5.8-tb+fx+sm.zip
(146.67 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Last edited by Odyseus on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Odyseus

Re: Custom Buttons broken on all Firefox versions higher tha

Postby trapper john » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:46 pm

What happened to antonglv, he hasn't been around in over a year? After firefox 44 the fixed addon will have to be signed for the released version. If the developer doesn't show up by then maybe one of us can do that then upload it for download. It just needs to be renamed and given a different ID but hopefully that won't be necessary.
trapper john

Postby octopod » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:49 am

Actually, before the fix, it INCLUDED 43.

What's the difference between the 2 new files?
octopod

Postby MarkRH » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:24 am

Will this fix the issue of Custom Buttons causing FF44 (Beta) to take a long time to start up?
MarkRH

Postby giorgiogio48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Odyseus wrote:Hello, everybody.

I would like to report that the recently updated version of Custom Buttons add-on published on AMO (addons.mozilla.org) named 0.0.5.8.1-signed.1-let-fixed is not really fixed. It's still broken on all Firefox versions higher than 43. The problem is that all instances of the const keyword inside the custombuttons.jar file have not been changed.

Also, the Browser Console is not working properly on Firefox versions higher than 43. When one clicks on a warning/error link thrown by a custom button, it doesn't open the CB editor with the highlighted line.

Both errors mentioned above are fixed in the attached files on this post. I just modified two things:
  • All instances of the const keyword are replaced by the var keyword. Including the files inside the custombuttons.jar file.
  • I added the line overlay chrome://devtools/content/webconsole/webconsole.xul chrome://custombuttons/content/consoleOverlay.xul in the JavaScript Console section of the chrome.manifest file.

Rename the .zip file extension to .xpi to install.

Thanks for your addon. Works! But there's no backup buttons button
giorgiogio48

Postby makondo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:13 pm

Installed 184 times ... Thanks, Odyseus!
History repeats. I remember the same thing happened with Yan, the original author. He just simply disappeared and anton was helping everybody in the first forum, then he just took over the ext. I don't know what prevents this guys from simply announcing that they're dropping support and looking for someone to take over. Seems like a decent thing to do.
makondo

Postby Logman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:01 pm

I renamed the zip to .xpi but my computer doesn't recognise the file extension.Any ideas?
Logman

Postby makondo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Try this (don't know what your OS is):
Rclick that file name/Open with (or Might just be Open), then find something like 'Choose a default program' and select Firefox (might have to browse to the firefox.exe file under Program files/Mozilla)
makondo

Postby trapper john » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Logman wrote:I renamed the zip to .xpi but my computer doesn't recognise the file extension.Any ideas?

In Folder Options/View is "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked? Simply adding .xpi to the file name won't work since the actual extension needs to be changed.
trapper john

Postby aikia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:21 pm

Folks, is there an update on this? I can't seem to be able to install on Firefox 44 - I get a message that unverified extensions are not allowed.
With the old add-on (0.0.5.8.1-signed.1-let-fixed), Firefox just refuses to start.
aikia

Next

Return to Bug report