[FIXED] CB broken on all Firefox versions higher than 43

Post information about bugs here

Re: [FIXED] CB broken on all Firefox versions higher than 43

Postby Odyseus » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello, antonglv.

antonglv wrote:As far as I climb on a career ladder I have less and lesser free time to develop the add-on :( But I would not want to disappoint the add-on's users (and myself), therefore I'll try to jump over my head. I won't promise but I hope I succeed.

All we can ask is that you give it a try. Regardless of whether you succeed or not, we will always be grateful.

antonglv wrote:Couldn't you test it?

I tested the 0.0.5.8.4 version with the Spanish translation and works perfectly. Thanks!!!

As a side note, for people who may not know, although the specific locale is es-AR (Spanish Argentina), it will also work for all other Spanish locales (es-ES (Spain), es-MX (México) and es-CL (Chile)).

Odyseus

Postby makondo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:22 am

I can't install buttons, i get a page saying the address wasn't understood. As if CB is not installed. Get the same with 0.0.5.8.5-20160219 and, previous, 0.0.5.8.4, versions. What's up with that? I can't install from my local backup html page or from this forum.
makondo

Postby Odyseus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 am

makondo wrote:I can't install buttons, i get a page saying the address wasn't understood. As if CB is not installed. Get the same with 0.0.5.8.5-20160219 and, previous, 0.0.5.8.4, versions. What's up with that? I can't install from my local backup html page or from this forum.

Hello, makondo.

That's a known bug with the protocol handler and only happens when Electrolysis is enabled. You "reported" it yourself right here. With Electrolysis disabled, I can install buttons from URLs from any source from Firefox Stable to Nightly.
Odyseus

Postby makondo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Good catch ... ain't the same anymore, forgetting stuff ...
Anyway, good catch but i guess this is another attempt to get anton' attention to the matter ;)
makondo

Postby Odyseus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:31 pm

makondo wrote:Good catch ... ain't the same anymore, forgetting stuff ...

Sadly, I know exactly what you mean. LOL

Note to antonglv: I was seeing the code on CB add-on to see if I could fix the problem commented by makondo. I gave up immediately, pure "Chinese" for me!!! LOL But while researching, I found this bug in which (for what I can understand with my very limited knowledge) they are modifying the protocol handler to work with Electrolysis. I updated to the last Nightly build to try the changes. Custom buttons are impossible to install on Nightly from an URL from any source, not even with Electrolysis disabled. So you might want to not even bother to try to fix this bug until they stop toying around with the main code.

Edit: Ignore the underlined part of my comment. I was running Firefox Nightly as Administrator. Once I launched it as a normal user, I can now install CBs from any URL with Electrolysis disabled.
Odyseus

Postby Infocatcher » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:02 pm

About custom protocol:
https://github.com/Infocatcher/Private_Tab/compare/a737d240d4...72848f21ff
And for non-restartless extension this is a bit more simple.
Infocatcher

Postby Infocatcher » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Some researches:
custom_buttons-0.0.5.8.5-e10s_protocol_dev.xpi
Now from child process we have
Error: TypeError: Components.classes['@xsms.nm.ru/custombuttons/cbservice;1'] is undefined
Source: chrome://custombuttons/content/CustomButtonProtocol.js
Line: 213

>_<

So, also all that codes should be moved into code module.
Infocatcher

Postby Infocatcher » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Many weird tricks comes:
custom_buttons-0.0.5.8.5-e10s_protocol_dev2.xpi

Added support for custombutton:// with enabled multi-process mode aka e10s.

How:
components/CustomButtonProtocol.js
-> (for non-e10s) chrome/custombuttons.jar/content/custombuttons/CustomButtonProtocol.js (code from old components/CustomButtonProtocol.js)
-> (for e10s) chrome/custombuttons.jar/content/custombuttons/CustomButtonProtocol-content.js
--> chrome/custombuttons.jar/content/custombuttons/CustomButtonProtocol.jsm (singleton to register protocol only once)
---> chrome/custombuttons.jar/content/custombuttons/CustomButtonProtocol.js (yes, again, now for child process)
----> message to chrome process using weird trick with stored frame script's globals
Infocatcher

Postby Infocatcher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:31 am

Also in 0.0.5.8.x is missed part of codes around "Remove from Toolbar" & Co menu items, see
https://forum.mozilla-russia.org/viewtopic.php?pid=708543#p708543

In 0.0.5.9pre1-20140622 "removeFromToolbar" will be found in
custombuttons.jar\content\custombuttons\overlay.js
custombuttons.jar\content\custombuttons\cbbutton.js
but in 0.0.5.8.x - only in
custombuttons.jar\content\custombuttons\cbbutton.js
Infocatcher

Postby Infocatcher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:37 pm

custom_buttons-0.0.5.8.5-e10s_protocol_dev3.xpi
Better way to implement custombutton:// protocol with enabled multi-process mode.
Infocatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Bug report