Custom Buttons makes opening any new window in FF very slow

Post information about bugs here

Custom Buttons makes opening any new window in FF very slow

Postby thadrummer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Currently running FF 44.

I recently switched from 0.0.5.9pre1 to 0.0.5.8.1-signed.1-let-fixed from AMO and realized that every time I opened a new FF window the browser froze for quite a while.

I started FF in safe mode and everything was fine. Then I remembered a post somewhere with someone saying that Custom Buttons is the cause of this.

So, I disabled just Custom Buttons and indeed, the problem was gone.

So far, it seems that Mozilla hasn't removed the option to disable add-on signing, so I'm switching back to 0.0.5.9pre1, but I thought of letting you guys know that this problem exists for when add-on signing becomes an absolute requirement.
thadrummer

Re: Custom Buttons makes opening any new window in FF very s

Postby trapper john » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:30 pm

That's a known problem and was fixed by Odyseus that you can download from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3656

If you want to keep using custom buttons you'll have to go with the nightlies or the developer version until the fixed custom buttons version gets signed by the developer. If I'm not mistaken v44 will start requiring signed addons whereas the nightlies don't. Alternatively, you could download the unbranded Firefox if and when that becomes available.
trapper john

Postby morat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:01 pm

I think Mozilla pushed back the signing restriction to Firefox 46.

Firefox 43: Firefox will have a preference that allows signature enforcement to be disabled (xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config).

Firefox 46: Release and Beta versions of Firefox will not allow unsigned extensions to be installed, with no override.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing
morat

Postby makondo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Yes, but CB was broken in 46 for me till i installed the Odyseus version, so anton really needs to get it fixed ... unless he abandoned the ext. (looks like he didn't sign in to the russian forum for a while either) in which case he should announce it and let somebody else take over.
makondo

Postby trapper john » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:38 pm

@morat, I just downloaded and am using 45 beta and the unsigned custom buttons and downthemall are still working so that appears to be the case. Mozilla has no choice but to keep backtracking on their arbitrary decisions if they want to hold out any hope of maintaining their ever decreasing user base.

If they're smart they will also push back plans to eliminate current addons altogether. They can still develop the browser to accept Chrome addons without nuking the place.
trapper john

Return to Bug report