[Signed fixed extension attached] CB broken on Firefox 48+

Post information about bugs here

Re: CB broken on all Firefox versions higher than 48

Postby Odyseus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:12 am

morat wrote:
The requested topic does not exist.

I bet a Mozilla developer asked a moderator to delete the topic.

The Mozilla Russian forums still has several topics with that tweak published.
How to disable verification of digital signatures in extensions
The patch for Firefox 48 for unsigned add-ons

morat wrote:I guess the hack will stop working in a future version.

Well, like everything coming from Mozilla these couple of years, lets enjoy it while it lasts.

tk2hmpY152doGUEZ wrote:Has this extension been abandoned?

Custom Buttons extension was last updated just 4 months ago, not 4 years. I'm sure that the author has better things to do than to keep up fixing errors caused by the decisions of a moronic corporation.

tk2hmpY152doGUEZ wrote:Is there any hope for an update?

When the author feels like it. In the mean time, there are several ways to make the extension work in all versions of Firefox.
Odyseus

Re: [Temporarily fixed ext. attached] CB broken on Firefox 4

Postby avada » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:14 pm

Odyseus wrote:Attached to this post is the extension with the changes specified above applied plus the fix described in this other bug. Both extensions, the one in this post and the one in the other post, are exactly the same file.

Rename the .zip file extension to .xpi to install

Thanks for the fix. This seems to have fixed my broken buttons. Oddly enough CB worked without issue until today, but it's supposed to be broken for months now. :shock: Oh, well. Lucky I remembered this forum from the last breakage.
avada

Postby Hippopotamus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:01 am

Updated today to v51.0a2 only to discover that all my custom buttons had stopped working (with add-on v0.0.5.8.9 from AMO). Installed Odyseus' fix in the OP instead and everything works perfectly well. Thanks!
Hippopotamus

Postby thadrummer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:47 am

Is there any way of making CB work on the official 51.0b1 at the moment?
Due to the add on signing requirement I can't install Odyseus' fix and I really don't want to change my Firefox version right now.

Any help would be appreciated.
thadrummer

Postby trapper john » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:49 am

thadrummer wrote:Is there any way of making CB work on the official 51.0b1 at the moment?
Due to the add on signing requirement I can't install Odyseus' fix and I really don't want to change my Firefox version right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

if antonglv doesn't return by 51's release perhaps someone else on the forum could get it signed and then we can all download it. Maybe we can draw straws to see who'll do it lol.

An alternative for now is to do what I'm doing, instead of the beta go with aurora 52, it still works in that.
trapper john

Postby thadrummer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:40 pm

trapper john wrote:if antonglv doesn't return by 51's release perhaps someone else on the forum could get it signed and then we can all download it. Maybe we can draw straws to see who'll do it lol.

An alternative for now is to do what I'm doing, instead of the beta go with aurora 52, it still works in that.

I would do that except for the fact that even on 51.0b1, I can feel the browser being in beta (unexpected slowdowns and snags every now and then etc.). Going on the alpha channel, I think, would exacerbate this underlying behavior even more because of the nature of a piece of software being in an alpha build.

What I was considering, actually, was to just switch to the official version, 50, where CB should still work. Then, if by the time the official release reaches 51, CB isn't fixed, I would look for an alternative like Autohotkey to implement similar tools to what I currently use. I would have just preferred to still use a built in solution to achieve the same result.
Here's hoping.
thadrummer

Postby Odyseus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Hello, g@ys.

@thadrummer: Just disable add-ons signing and use any unsigned extension on any Firefox version. For disabling add-on signing on Firefox stable/beta, use this method. Or you can even use an unbranded version of Firefox.

@trapper john: Nobody will bother to upload a patched version of this or any other XUL based add-on. Mozilla had planned to block the upload of these type of add-ons to AMO (addons.mozilla.org). I don't know if it's implemented yet, but that isn't the only annoyance. The most problematic is the need to change the add-on UUID, even if one wants to just sign it without publishing it.

So, to cut it short, disable add-on signing and move on.
Odyseus

Postby trapper john » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Forgot about that trick for disabling add-on signing, it was on mozillazine but got removed if I recall. That's certainly an option if all else fails, thanks Odyseus for the link.

@thadrummer, if you try the hack to disable add-on signing let us know if it works.
trapper john

Postby mcee » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:54 am

Use Waterfox - no signing needed.
mcee

Postby trapper john » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:46 am

mcee wrote:Use Waterfox - no signing needed.

Would love to except I'm stuck on Win 7 32-bit. Might be a good option for others though.

Have to admit, I'd very much like to move onto something else at this point given the performance decline in the nightlies with video playing and other issues, not to mention required signings and other mindless ideas. To watch flash videos I'm forced to use IE it's gotten so bad. Flash is flawless on IE11, regardless of hardware or software mode.

Why can't Firefox work like that? A bug was filed but the developer looked at it for a day then abandoned it, not the first time. Then they wonder why they're losing market share. It's very frustrating and the only thing keeping me on this browser are addons like custom buttons and noscript. Without those Firefox would have been long gone.
trapper john

PreviousNext

Return to Bug report