Latest 5 posts awaiting approval

Post information about bugs here

Re: Latest 5 posts awaiting approval

Postby makondo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 am

Oh boy, i feel for you Image
makondo

Postby antonglv » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm

makondo wrote:When you update the forum soft, there's a pretty good working build in anti-spam feature you can activate if it's not activated by default. AND! install a better captcha with human interaction. This will cut robots completely. The rest of jerks can be easily dealt with manually.

I've updated the forum to 3.0.11. Now, here is the question about "better captcha with human interaction": any captcha assumes user interaction, and there is "GD 3D Image" captch on the user registration. Is it bad captcha and should I install other?.
antonglv
Site Admin

Postby makondo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:47 am

You don't have to, give it a try and see what happens. You can always do it later if needed. There some where people need to move random objects around, answer random questions (like, what color is the circle in the upper right corner? etc.). It cuts on robot registrations.
There should be a dropdown select menu with 4 other captchas 5 total). Id say, let Morat play with them for a while and see what works best. Then decide if you need another one.

You should set stuff in "Block settings" (ACP bottom left links). We don't have 2 boxes for Domain-RBL... checked. That's the one that caused all our registrations be flagged as spam and people couldn't register to the forum. Too many false-positives with this one.

Here, we have it all checked 'Yes' there but this:

Report spammers to HTTP Blacklists: No
Check IP against IP-RBL DNS Blacklists on posting: guests only
Check IP, username, e-mail address and message against HTTP Blacklists on posting: guests only
Check posted domains against Domain-RBL DNS Blacklists: guests only
Check user E-mail domain against Domain-RBL DNS Blacklists: guests only
(BTW, we don't allow guest posting anyway)
makondo

Postby antonglv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:22 pm

makondo wrote:You should set stuff in "Block settings" (ACP bottom left links). We don't have 2 boxes for Domain-RBL... checked. That's the one that caused all our registrations be flagged as spam and people couldn't register to the forum. Too many false-positives with this one.

Here, we have it all checked 'Yes' there but this:

Report spammers to HTTP Blacklists: No
Check IP against IP-RBL DNS Blacklists on posting: guests only
Check IP, username, e-mail address and message against HTTP Blacklists on posting: guests only
Check posted domains against Domain-RBL DNS Blacklists: guests only
Check user E-mail domain against Domain-RBL DNS Blacklists: guests only
(BTW, we don't allow guest posting anyway)

I don't see any "Block settings" in the ACP. Is it added by some MOD?
antonglv
Site Admin

Postby makondo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:23 am

(we use subsilver2 * theme):
ACP/General (tab at the top) > Left panel with links > very bottom. I don't think it's a mod, i think it's default.

EDIT: i looked through configuration and didn't see any mods there. I'm an admin but it could be that the owner activated something in the configuration that puts that menu out? I doubt the owner installed any additional mods 'cause he asked me if any needed and because things just start working well for the forum after update i said 'not at this time, i'll let you know'.

Looking at the Members list sorted by Joined date, i see that you had loads of spam/fake accnts registering up to the date you updated the forum, less the next day and less yet today. Did Morat clean it up or you get less regs after the update?
I'd say, clean it up and let it roll for a while. Cleaning spam/fake regs is important (in my opinion) 'cause i think they seek forums they got into and just keep spamming.
I'll PM you both with my tips, just don't want it out in the open.
makondo

Postby antonglv » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:55 am

It is "Advanced Block MOD", I've tried to install it but I couldn't because of errors during installation - I don't know why - I've tried both versions of ABM, 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, the both for phpbb 3.0.11, and there is no any MOD's installed except AutoMOD which is recommended to install "Advanced Block MOD".
antonglv
Site Admin

Postby makondo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:14 am

That sux. It's really a great thing. Unfortunately, i can't help with that. Did you try it from the link i've sent in PM? Because that's the one Gary installed on the same day he updated the forum. The site hiccuped for a couple of hrs but everything was all right after that and since. phpBB has a forum, try posting/asking there what to do.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=225
For this particular mod: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1659315
makondo

Postby antonglv » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:27 pm

makondo wrote:Did you try it from the link i've sent in PM?

Yes, I've tried that link.

I've removed a lot of users with zero posts and incomprehensible URL. I do not know, will it help or not, but I can do anything else.
antonglv
Site Admin

Postby morat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm

The updates are working well, not much spam now.

I have a question about banning. How does it work? I banned the email of a spammer and disapproved the posts. And on the next day, there are 5 posts waiting for approval from the same spammer.

soppaipse banned on:

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:38 am

soppaipse has 5 new posts in the approval queue:

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:14 am
Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 am
Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:56 am
Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:42 pm
Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 pm

The new posts are all before the ban. I am sure the approval queue was cleared the day before.
morat

Postby makondo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Some glitch. Or s/he signed from a different puter/mail/IP? Maybe it doesn't check users until approved (posts)?
I had one like that, too. I'd ban him - IP, name, email, everything available - and the next day he's back! with the same username! every day ...! We could've achieved 'Peace on Earth' if persistent people like that would've used their energy sufficiently.
I've never figured why, was just getting p'ed from time to time till we installed that mod. Never heard from him again!!

BTW, phpBB has a forum, you could search/ask there.
See if this helps any.
Last edited by makondo on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
makondo

PreviousNext

Return to Bug report